• Caption: CL&A right-of-way passing the Fernbank railroad station, looking north at the approximate location of US-50 and Catalpa Road after conversion to streetcars. In 1918 when the company was retrenching with new lightweight equipment and purchased power, they also eliminated double-track street running on Gracely Drive in favor of a new single-track right-of-way next to the Big Four Railroad. The track had to bend around the commuter rail station. A similar situation existed with the Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee's Shore Line where the interurban's tracks had to bend around the Chicago & Northwestern's numerous commuter train stations. US-50 now occupies the land to the right. Photo from Phil Lind.
  • Date: 3/13/14, 8:01:22 PM EDT
  • File Name: 10007287_10201521376498266_1167289552_o.jpg