Louisville & Nashville to Corbin, KY - CSX, Huntington West Division, CC Subdivision
Former Kentucky Central/Louisville & Nashville to Corbin, KY
Standard gauge line opened in the late 1850's
Downtown terminal: Central Union Depot (3rd Street & Central Avenue) or 4th Street Station (4th Street between Smith and John)
In active use
The first railroad constructed south from Cincinnati was the Covington & Lexington Railroad, chartered in 1849. By 1853 only 20 miles had been constructed from the center of Covington south along the Licking River, due to the difficulty in raising capital from the sparsely populated Kentucky countryside. The road reached Paris, Kentucky in 1856, and in 1859 they merged with the Maysville & Lexington to form the Kentucky Central Railroad. Even with a through route to Lexington established, the small company had no resources to span the Ohio River, and had to wait until the C&O built its bridge in 1888. An important coal hauling route, this was to become the Louisville & Nashville's main line to Corbin, Kentucky, and it still carries significant traffic today. The main classification yard was at Decoursey in Taylor Mill, most of which has been abandoned in favor of the Queensgate yards and a new intermodal facility a little farther to the south of the Decoursey property.
Return to Index